Danygraig Cemetery was opened for burials on 1st January,1857, according to an announcement in the 'Cambrian' newspaper, although there are entries in the burial registers from October 1856. Danygraig was the first Municipal Cemetery in Swansea, intended to replace the overcrowded and potentially unsanitary graveyards in the town centre. It is situated above the Port Tennant area of Swansea, east of the district of St. Thomas, in a moderately elevated position on the side of Kilvey Hill. At the time it was opened it overlooked an area known as Fabian's Bay, but from the late 1870s the docks on the eastern side of the river Tawe were constructed there. The docks area is now being developed as the 'SA1 development'. The CD contain approx 21,500 entries which are indexed alphabetically by Surname, Forename and give Address, Grave No., Date and Register No. The transcription covers the period 1856 - 1896 .
Product Ref: GLA-S1914CD