ABERCANAID BURIAL GROUND

Description

ABERCANAID IN THE PARISH OF MERTHYR TYDFIL, IS SITUATED 2 MILES SOUTH OF THE TOWN CENTRE OF MERTHYR TYDFIL. IT IS BETWEEN THE RIVER TAFF TO THE EAST AND THE GLAMORGANSHIRE CANAL (BUILT 1794) TO THE WEST. THE VILLAGE IS BORDERED BY 4 COLLIERIES, ONE OF WHICH WAS THE GRAIG PIT, OPENED BY LUCY THOMAS IN THE 1830'S. THE CALVINISTIC METHODIST CHAPEL GRAIG, WAS NAMED AFTER THE DISTRICT, THE GRAIG. IT WAS A WELSH SPEAKING CHAPEL AND LATER BECAME PART OF THE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF WALES. THE CHAPEL HAS A LARGE CEMETERY, BOUNDED ON ONE SIDE BY THE CANAL AND ANTHONY'S GROVE ON THE OTHER. IN THE EARLY 1990'S A GROUP OF SCHOOL CHILDREN WITH THE LATE SUE MEDD, THEN GFHS MT SECRETARY, RECORDED A LOT OF THE HEAD-STONES AS PART OF A PROJECT. THIS LIST WAS FORGOTTEN ABOUT UNTIL A NEWSPAPER ARTICLE IN 2004, STATED THAT THE LAND AND GRAVE YARD WERE TO BE SOLD AND HOUSES BUILT ON THE SITE. THE CD CONTAINS THE CHILDREN'S TRANSCRIPT AND THOSE THAT WERE PHOTOGRAPHED AND TRANSCRIBED IN 2004 BY JEAN & ALUN JONES. THIS IS THE ONLY KNOWN RECORD OF THIS NOW DERELICT GRAVEYARD IN EXISTENCE.

Glamorgan Family History Society /, Cymdeithas Hanes Teuluol Morgannwg Logo

£10.00

Supplied by: Glamorgan Family History Society /, Cymdeithas Hanes Teuluol Morgannwg

Format: CD-ROM

Product Ref: GLA-M0701CD