Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland, Vol 17: County Down IV, 1833–7


The Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland are a uniquely detailed source for the history of the northern half of Ireland immediately before the Great Famine. They were written in the 1830s to accompany the 6" Ordnance Survey maps, but with one exception were not published at the time.

In this new edition they act as a nineteenth-century Domesday book and are essential to the understanding of the cultural heritage of our communities. The Memoirs document the landscape and situation, buildings and antiquities, land-holdings and population, employment and livelihood of the parishes.

This volume contains the Memoirs for fifteen parishes in east Down. Centres covered include Ballynahinch, Crossgar and Downpatrick, as well as the coastal towns of Ardglass, Killough, Killyleagh and Strangford.


Supplied by: Ulster Historical Foundation

Format: Book

Product Ref: UHF-IIS017