From a book published in 1883 by Jesse Ward, founder/owner of the Croydon Advertiser. Lists upwards of 4,500 names from the monumental inscriptions in Croydon's churches and churchyards (St John, St Peter, St James, Christ Church), Friends Meeting House, Pump Pail Chapel and the Queens Road Cemetery together with St Mary, Beddington, St John, Shirley and St Mary, Addington.
The majority of the gravestones that were recorded have by now either been removed or become illegible. In addition to the inscriptions there are extracts from obituaries and other valuable biographical notes. As well as the above, the book traces the development of Croydon from pre-history to the date of publication and includes a description of the town as it was in 1851 and details subsequent changes up to 1882.
Supplied by: East Surrey Family History Society
Product Ref: ESY-E105